Monthly Archives: February 2015

(UPDATED) Fire at Range Resources Well in North Strabane Reportedly Caused by Mechanical Malfunction

Non one was injured Wednesday in a large fire at a well site in North Strabane Township, Washington County, operated by Range Resources – a blaze that company officials have said was likely caused by a mechanical malfunction.

“I just spoke with Dennis Degner, vice president of operations at Range Resources. I asked him about the status of the fire at a Range Resources’ well site in North Strabane tonight. He assured me that it was under control and that, according to the information he has received, it was a mechanical malfunction that caused the fire,” Sen. Camera Bartolotta, R-Monongahela, said.

She also expressed her thanks to the first responders who successfully contained the fire, as well as to Range Resources officials – in advance.

“I thank Range Resources, in advance, for (its) thorough investigation into this incident,” Bartolotta said. “I look forward to receiving more information as investigation unfolds.”

A voice mail left for North Strabane Fire Department was not immediately returned. Working for more details and photos – but until then, here are the local media reports that have been published so far on the incident:

Here is the most thorough report, from the Observer-Reporter newspaper in Washington.

Here is the WPXI report.

Here is the WTAE report.

Here is the WJPA report.

Here is the Tribune-Review report.

Editor’s Note: Have info or photos? Email them to me at amandabgillooly@gmail.com.

Advertisements